Wednesday 17 February 2010

Day 1 of a sunny disposition


Attitudes are contagious. Are yours worth catching? ~Dennis and Wendy Mannering

Amazing. I’ve researched Mr and Mrs Mannering. They are motivational speakers from Wisconsin and this quote is the title of their book. Apparently Wendy Mannering’s seminars are ‘interactive’ and ‘laced with humour’ whilst hubby Dennis is a ‘terrific storyteller’. For some reason this, combined with the soft hues of Wendy's portrait, makes me crave a New England kitchen and cosy nights round the fire eating pumpkin pie. From the gist of their website, I can’t help but feel there is a strong fiscal motivation for the Mannerings, but regardless, they too have embarked on a mission of happiness and are out there spreading the word. The quote is, in a general sense, very true and one I will live by today.

Right, how to change your attitude part 1.

Advice from www.purica.com

Listen to internal dialogue.
Divide one or more sheets of paper into two columns and, for a few days, jot down in the left column all the negative thoughts that come into your head. Rewrite each thought in a positive way in the second column. Practice doing this in your mind until it becomes a habit. (For example, “I’ll never get this finished by the end of the day!” could become, “I will probably get most of this finished by the end of the day.”)

Ok. Armed with a whole load of mental stationery and a world of negative thoughts. Par example: ‘It’s cold, wet, and dark outside’. Translation: ‘Yes it is raining but that is necessary for trees and grass and pretty flowers to grow. Nature is wonderful! I feel alive!’ Ok, ignore that. ‘It’s just the weather and should not affect my mood’.

I am now going to spend the day ‘re-writing’ negative thoughts. I’ll let you know how I get on tomorrow. I am also going to try really hard to lose the sarcasm because it surely defeats the whole point of this.

And taking liberties on the first day, here is quote number two. Courtesy of one Herm Albright, a mysterious guy who must be the only person who has, in whatever manifestation, put something 'out there' culturally or otherwise NOT to be covered by Wikipedia.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Just a little personal disclaimer after a comment from Flatmate G: I am not influenced in any way, shape, or indeed form by the preaching of Noel Edmonds on positivity and the Cosmic Ordering Service but it sounds bloody amazing and I hope to try it at some point over the next 40 happy days. I have some pretty funny mental images of ol’ Noel picking up the Deal or No Deal phone ‘erm hi, yes, is that the universe?? Yes? Oh good. Can I please have a new car?’ GET BACK IN THE HOUSE EDMONDS.

1 comment:

  1. i think when its cold wet and dark outside you should say to yourself "at least i am not on a windy hillside in horizontal rain squelching through mud to feed two horses before chasing an errant lurcher around the field for half an hour trying to persuade him that the inside of the car is a nice warm place." or something like that...

    ReplyDelete