Saturday 27 February 2010

Day 11 Lunatic Fringe


Ok meditation works and it’s good… am very much a ‘newbie’ and struggling immensely with ‘emptying the mind of clutter’ mostly because when I focus on an empty mind it fills with the most irritating clutter such as ‘what is an empty mind?’ and ‘is it empty yet? is it??'


Emptying my mind of clutter however, does not correspond to all my random thoughts about cosmology. I know this isn’t an ism... am building up to that. My thoughts on cosmology are largely to do with my current location. Today I am in deepest Wiltshire, checkin' out some stones.


SO, on the lines of cosmology, I’ve been dying to return to Noel Edmonds. Noel, of house and deal fame, openly and enthusiastically endorses The Cosmic Ordering Service. Feeling stuck in a rut, those hedonistic Golden Years over, Noel stumbled across a best-selling German book by Barbel Mohr about the power of positive thinking. Basically, from what I can gather, you think about what you really really want and 'place an order' for it with the universe. Ahem. Mohr is very open about the extent to which this is synonymous with a mail order company.


BUT! When challenged on precisely who in the universe deals with such requests, Mohr is a tad more vague. And there’s no mention of what would be my first question to her – HOW do you contact the universe?? Is this covered in my Vodafone inclusive minutes? This eventually, thank gawd, aligns itself with an actual theory: united field theory. UFT basically asserts that everything is one and you can connect with the concept, or power, of the entirety. Yes, you place the order with yourself. Mohr goes on to suggest that we all order subconsciously anyway, so what makes this so special?? Well, you can order for other people. Combined as one in the entirety, we are so connected to each other I can call the universe on behalf of friends.


Er, ok, so the general idea is that if enough people wish positive thoughts for themselves and others, the universe will contain more positive energy. Haha. Mohr you’re a crazy fool! Only you’re NOT, you’re just like every other person abusing societal insecurities and the demand for self-help books – exceptionally clever.


Inspired by TCOS, I’m going to spend some time on the lunatic fringe.


Today's ism is: Druidism


Druidism was the religion of Celtic people. Neo-druidism is the religion of Interesting Characters. Well it's not really a religion, more a form of spirituality. And then it's not really that either, more a philosophy of living. Meh. Essentially, as far as neo-druidism is concerned, it should probs be classed under escapism, or romanticism, or delusionism. I am SO getting the hang of this. Despite the slight hint of cynicism here, I am actually pleasantly surprised by elements of neo-druidism – it’s very tolerant, can be monotheist, polytheist or animist (belief in spirits). Like a theological pick’n’mix!


And then there’s the whole ‘magic’ concept! Ha. Because of course there was magic back in the day, of course. Until those pesky Roman’s snuck in and snuffed it out. The concept of magic is so ingrained in the philosophy of druidism’s that of course our neo’s have to keep up the tradition. Fortunately there is no spilling of blood and wand waving – it is simply realizing the potential of life and ideas into manifestations. Strangely disappointed with that.


Similarly to TCOS, N-D is based on pantheism – the belief that all life is interconnected and interdependent. Similarly to Buddhism is the belief in Karma and the laws of cause and effect. If I spend today doing Good Things, Good Things will happen to me. Is there anything particularly special or unique about neo-druidism then? Cos right now I’m not inspired. Oh right yes, RITUALS! After extensive ten-minute research I have discovered that contemporary druidic rituals can consist of meeting in the woods at specific time (what time I ask you?? Why am I asking you, I should ask the universe!), ritual consumption of beverages (apparently this is WHISKEY. Hahahaa! No fresh lambs blood for them!), chanting (learnt that yesterday) AND sacrifice. But, once again, no virgins or cute little animals. Oh no, neo-druids sacrifice vegetables.


I have nothing more to say on this matter.

2 comments:

  1. i am hoping when the menopause finally arrives and i grow a long white beard i can become a proper druid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "abusing societal insecurities", haha nice.

    ReplyDelete