Thursday 18 February 2010

Day 2 of a sunny disposition


Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats. ~Voltaire


Is this seriously Voltaire? I don’t want to criticize quotes like this too much, because I know they can mean a lot to some people, but it does seem a tad lacklustre from one of the true polemicists of the Enlightenment… SORRY. Positive thinking. How true, Volt, I would be singing at the top of my voice whilst being sucked mercilessly into the whirlpool of a sinking ship. I hate communal singing. OMG STOP THIS. It’s still early days guys.


Yesterday was A. Good. Day. One slight hiccup - but good example of my mental ‘editing’ - with the receptionist at the Institute (In the box. IN THE BOX. PUT IT IN THE BOX. Trust me this is a long and boring story) but I put a positive spin on the confrontation and skipped merrily away (having put it in the PIGEON HOLE… correct place, smile, breathe deeply).


However… having mulled it over for a full day, I’m not that keen on the quote from yesterday. It strikes me as a tad superficial – a snappy little soundbite – almost an extension of the robotic, ubiquitous Americanism ‘Have a Nice Day’. But Americans do seem to have forged the road of positive thought, and motivational books, speakers, and workshops are a booming industry. Think and Grow Rich! by Napoleon Hill was published back in 1937, Norman Vincent Peale wrote The Power of Positive Thinking in 1952, and it seems between then and now – more so in more recent times - there is a plethora of self-help books designed to ultimately declare war on negative thoughts. It has become essential to the fabric of the American Dream. But I can’t shake how shallow it all seems. And the drivel. OH THE DRIVEL. I read this yesterday: “We share our invisible states of aliveness all the time” ??? I’m sorry? Say it like it is –miserable people make us feel miserable, happy people cheer us up.


Anyhoo, this is something I wish to explore further over my 40 days and it is (trust me) by no means an attack on American culture. I am fascinated by all this. For today the mission is:


Learn to communicate. Not saying the things we feel can lead to a sense of frustration, hurt, anger or anxiety. If you find communicating difficult, or are afraid of arguments or bruised feelings, take a course in communicating effectively always having the intent of non-harm.


Take a course? Ok… well, aside from that little nugget, here we go. Never had much of a problem communicating so feeling pretty confident about this. Perhaps should offer advance apologies to those with whom I am communicating, today could be somewhat illuminating.



1 comment:

  1. Well after our recent discussion about musicals, I can only take this post to be an indication that you'd like to attend a 'sing-along' version if at all possible.
    I'll see what I can do.

    PS. Have you seen this...
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8520549.stm

    ReplyDelete