Sunday 21 February 2010

Day 5 BOOM.

“For many men, the acquisition of wealth does not end their troubles, it only changes them.”
“It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor.”

~ Seneca (5BC – AD65)


HOKAY – this is possibly controversial, but in light of the fact this newly forged road to positive enlightenment is partly motivated by the humiliating end of an all-round disaster of a relationship, I'm gonna indulge. For one day only.

I was at a party last night, as was The Ex and A New Girl. This is A Big Deal. Only, it wasn’t. It was most definitely and singularly the most liberating moment of the past year. As he stood there, concomitantly acting all ‘low-profile’ and yet radiating the usual self-worth, fingers intertwined with hers in front of my eyes, my initial reaction was very much run upstairs and cry, almost as some kind of deranged default setting of the last six months or so. Last night, alas, I couldn’t bear the thought of wasting such expensive make-up, and what a waste of time! It was a beautiful moment of realization to rise out of the wreckage. Not only do I now have exceptionally strong relationships with Those Who Have Picked Up The Pieces but I can recognize and hope to goodness avoid weak narcissistic personalities, covered by a thin and pathetic layer of falsified integrity.

BLIMEY, I’m going to write to Debs Mannering about this one. So, the point of saying all this is that despite Sundays being a ‘day off’ from Lent and therefore an opportunity pamper myself in a spa of cynicism, I’m not going to.

I found the positivityblog. It is updated on a regular basis by the rather cheery looking Henrik Edberg, a guru of self-improvement, health, happiness and (in his words) ‘general awesomeness a few times a week’. Ok, ok, I’ve taken that quote out of context, but I much prefer the thought of being generally awesome several times a week – no more, no less.

This, in my opinion, is pure genius:

3. What would someone else do?
This is a good way to find a new and more useful perspective. You simply ask yourself what someone else would do in your situation.
Maybe you ask yourself:
• What would Winnie the Pooh do?
• What would James Bond do?
• What would mom or dad do?
The point is to play around and find a new perspective and drag yourself out of your current negative, stressed and confused headspace and see things in another light. Just doing that can often help you to calm down, realize that this isn’t a huge deal and help you to find a solution that you can apply.

Is this for real??! Under normal circumstances, the thought of EVER assessing my behaviour against that of Winnie the Pooh and James Bond would force me to change my name to Sunshine and run away to Acapulco. TODAY however, my dearest, I am going to assess ALL of my behaviour against that of Winnie the Pooh and James Bond. Very much looking forward to this.

2 comments:

  1. this is wonderful! i really needed cheering up today and you have managed it. i think either bonzo or dave would be good individuals for me to use to practice this. what would dave do? possibly eat some poo, or run very fast in circles. or bonzo? eat hay and run very fast in circles. maybe i need to set my sights higher...

    ReplyDelete
  2. “It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?""
    Winnie the Pooh

    ReplyDelete