Tuesday 2 March 2010

Day 14 Pleasing Personality


Right - two things today. Firstly, despite the fact I have just spent approx 42 minutes trying to fix a broken microwave with absolutely no luck, I am in a particularly good mood. Secondly, I have been thinking WAAAY too much about all this positivity malarkey which is fine because I generally over-think everything, but today I'm gonna go Back To Basics. Yep, it's time for an American motivational speaker.


Exhibit A: Napoleon Hill.


Ol' Nap Hill (1883 - 1970) was a true pioneer of personal-success literature. First brilliant fact: Nap was born in Wise County, Virginia. Virginia itself is, apparently, for lovers. Wise County also adopted the slogan 'The Safest Place on Earth'. Inspired, Wise County, inspired. BUT NOT necessarily supported by stats... I'm intrigued by the statements 'Electricity rates are considerably lower than surrounding areas' (how does that make it safer?) and 'Outside the "blast zone"'. My initial thought, that I immediately cast aside as RIDICULOUS, is in fact correct. In this part of the US, if a location is outside of the "blast zone" it is literally far enough from Washington DC to escape the fallout of nuclear explosion. Well OBVIOUSLY any area outside of this is truly the safest place on Earth!! Oh god. Anyhoo - to conclude, Wise County is the safest place for lovers living in fear of nuclear fallout.


Back to Nap. Nap developed "The Philosophy of Achievement", in which negative thoughts, fear and selfish behaviour play absolutely no part in the art of Being Successful. He published a heap of books, sold millions, and throughout each one alluded to a 'secret' of achievement. The Napoleon Hill Foundation has Successfully Achieved extracting money from customers (ironically motivated by the thought of eventually making money). Offering a range of products from Nap Hill's Great Thoughts Screensaver (bargain at $9.99) to the online 'Best Motivational Book and Tape Store Ever'. That's right, EVER.


Anyhoo. What is free of charge (is it though?? I feel I'm losing money by osmosis on this site) are the 17 Success Scrolls. Apart from reminding me of the Dead Sea Scrolls (trying to add authenticity to your product by copying ancient religious texts are we Nap??) it takes me back to being 10 years old, burning paper and soaking it in tea for an all-round authentic treasure map.


After my dealings in all things cosmic last week I am hesitant to even click on 'Scroll 17: Cosmic Habitforce'. There are also scrolls with such fundamentally wrong statements I can't even bring myself to criticise them. SO today I will opt for


Scroll 5: Pleasing Personality.

"It is essential that you develop a Pleasing Personality - pleasing to yourself and others"


I am going to 'generate enthusiasm' by my thoughts, feelings, and emotions and in doing so will develop a Pleasing Personality that is the 'aggregate' of agreeable, gratifying and likable qualities. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment