Wednesday 10 March 2010

Day 20 - HALF WAY GUYS!!

Sweet mother of all things positive I should not be this excited about a website. BUT I AM. So here goes.


Happy Guy


This site perfectly encapsulates almost everything I've been blathering on about. It's the closest thing to a parody I've found, and I absolutely love it.


David Leonhardt is The Happy Guy. He is, in addition, The Speaker Guy ("my speeches have been published in 'Great Canadian Speeches'" (really??!), Consumer Advocate Guy (well I guess everyone has to make a living), The Media Guy (ditto), The Writer/Author Guy (ok stop plugging yourself/products/speeches now), The OH GOD I CAN'T TAKE ANYMORE. Maaah actually hold that outburst - he is also The Family Guy, to wife Chantal and kids Chantalyne and Lauralee. Aww. My heart just melted. Just a tad. Around the cold bitter edges.


Anyhoo... despite the huge size of the Happy Guy website, decked out in all its neon yellow glory and liberal sprinkling of irritating LSD smiley faces, it apparently is not enough. Oh no. There's also the ‘Humour Columnist’, opening with the CLASSIC line:

We've had enough bad news. It's time for some positive thinking. It's time to look at this beautiful world and see past the evil and the disasters. It's time to dismiss the vampires and goblins and pickpockets. It's time for a satire column that laughs with the world not at it. (OK, so we laugh at it to, but we smile while we do.)


What world is he living in? Is this where I'm going wrong?? Because I don't make a conscious effort to dismiss the vampires, goblins and pickpockets (I too have always classed pickpockets in the same freaky-fantasy-doesn't actually-exist category. ???)


Moving on. Back to main site:

Sigh. Happiness is not like a microwave oven. Nor like the Internet. Not even like a doodadder. Happiness does not run on the instant gratification system. Happiness takes patience. Lord, please grant me the patience I lack...and I want it now!


If anyone can enlighten me as to the nature of a doodadder, I'm all ears. I'm also partly fascinated, partly thoroughly disturbed by his 'conversations' with those in his life, such as a chat with his uncle-in-law about vultures in India. I could never capture the inane beauty of such dialogue; please feel free to expose yourself to it


Ok, ok, I know this is NOT in the spirit of things. This website literally seeps positivity from every pore and that's good, I guess (I'm trying). One thing that specifically interests me is the consistent use of the term 'self-actualization'. From what I can gather, this term is used within contemporary psychology - coined originally by the organismic theorist Kurt Goldstein, but explored further by Abraham Maslow in his Hierarchy Of Needs. Maslow defines self-actualization as the desire for self-fulfillment, to become actualized in what you are potentially. A fundamental part of the humanist approach to psychology, it refers to the process by which healthy, motivated people define the self and maximise potential. Hmm ok, so I like Dave's usage (albeit rather inconclusive) of this term, but I am highly suspicious of his use of a quote from Ecclesiastes (A time to be born, and a time to die...) as the 'definition of "self-actualization" in the Bible' because, let's be honest Dave, it's not. The term was coined in the 1930s. It's merely an interpretation you're throwing out there… for what purpose?


And don't get me wrong, I am a huge advocate of Free Speech, especially when it is spreading positivity, but I can now sniff out Paid Speech a virtual mile away. I am also bored of reading that you are on some kind of a ‘journey’ to happiness, or in Dave’s case, running along a train track (??). This concept bothers me simply because it asserts an ‘end’ point – at the end of whatever mode of transport you choose, happiness will be lounging around (what took you so long?!) like a pot of gold. ARGH. It, in many ways, suggests that whilst on ‘the road’ you are not happy, you have not yet achieved happiness, the here and now is not good enough.


BUT ALAS, restraining myself from signing up to the Happy Guy’s Daily Happiness Free E-Zine (every edition is short!! Very short! It’s quick to download, quick to read, and quick to benefit from’ – I thought we needed patience for happiness Dave?), I am going to follow these words of wisdom today:


Before entering a room today, think about how you want others to treat you. With respect? With warmth? With sympathy? Close your eyes. Visualize them treating you that way. Now visualize how you need to act to elicit that response. For instance, the best way to be treated warmly is to walk in with a smile. Even if everybody else is grumpy keep smiling. They will catch on, because smiling is contagious.



No comments:

Post a Comment